Welcome to Oxon Church Shrewsbury
We’re Saving a Seat for You
Welcome to Oxon Church
The Vicar, the Reverend David O’Brien, his wife Alison and son Josh welcomes you to the community of Christ Church, Shelton with Oxon, often referred to simply as Oxon Church. We are a thriving group, with an enthusiastic congregation, located in the heart of Shelton with Oxon. For your satnav, our postcode is SY3 5AH and we’re immediately opposite the Toby Inn pub. Do feel free to pop in for a chat, or contact the vicar either by phone on 01743 231 427 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxon Church Services
Sunday: 9.30 am – Traditional Holy Communion using the Book of Common Prayer and alternating weekly with Common Worship which is in modern English. It is a Communion service each week and is led by the vicar, organist and choir.
Sunday: 11 am – Morning Praise. The style is more contemporary. It has modern music and the structure is much looser, to allow for a much more flexible pattern. It is more relaxed and less formal than a traditional service and Communion is shared on the 3rd Sunday of every month.
Sunday: 6.00 pm – Reflections.This means we meet to pray and study the Bible in an informal setting. Anyone can ask any question and it is a time for listening to one another and God.
Wednesdays: 11 am in the Hall for Communion followed by tea, coffee, and delicious biscuits. The pattern alternates between Book of Common Prayer and Common Worship.
Sunday 31st March 2019: Mothering Sunday
Combined Service with Holy Communion starting at 10.30am
14th April 2019: Palm Sunday:
0930 – Common Worship Holy Communion
1100 – Morning Praise
18th April 2019 – Maundy Thursday:
1900 – Holy Communion
19th April 2019: Good Friday:
1400 – Meditations
24th April 2019: Easter Sunday:
0930 – BCP Holy Communion
1100 – Morning Praise with Holy Communion
Glorious Reflections Taken By Annette Knight on Easter Morning When The Sun Shone Through The Church Windows
Verse of the Day
Oxon Church News
- NEW: Pew News. Articles and notices should be sent to our Communications member James Grundy at email@example.com who will forward them on to the Editor, Stanton D’Arcy. To view the latest copy please click on the image on the right. To download go to: March 24th 2019 Pew News
- NEW: 100 Club Renewal. Please will members of the 100 Club kindly pick up their renewal forms (2019/20) from the back of the church. New members are, of course, very welcome; the relevant forms can be obtained from there or in the church hall.
- NEW: Annual Parochial Church Meeting – Please could you make a note of the date for the APCM. It will be held on Saturday 6 April 2019 at 10.00 in the OSCH. The Annual Report will be presented, and you are encouraged to ask any questions at that time.Anyone who has a contribution to make to the Annual Report must have let the PCC Secretary have them by Friday 22 February 2019 at the latest. Thank you.
- NEW: The new weekly giving envelopes starting 7th April will be available in church in March. Please let me know if you would like to join the scheme, don’t want envelopes anymore or if your tax position has changed in relation to Gift Aid. Thanks to all who contribute to the church regularly. Pauline Johnson.
- New: All New Electoral Roll – In accordance with the Church Representation Rules (‘CRR’), 2019 is a year in which an entirely new church electoral roll must be prepared in advance of the annual parochial church meeting in every parish in the Church of England. In the near future forms will be made available and anyone wishing to be entered must fill in a form and hand it in.
- NEW: Prayer for Healing – Oxon Church is open every Monday afternoon for anyone who would like prayer or feels they would like to chat or just pop in for a cuppa. The Ashar Team are trained listeners, counsellors and prayer ministers. We are in the Church (Oxon Church) on a Monday afternoon 12.30pm -2.30pm during term time. Why not take the opportunity to take some space to seek God with a member of our friendly team.
- NEW Children’s Society Ann is starting the collection of Children’s Society boxes again and would be grateful if all box holders would bring their boxes to church and pass them to Ann or the duty churchwarden. Last year we managed to raise the total of £1,350.84 though the box scheme and on behalf of The Children’s Society, Ann would like to thank you for your continued support.
- NEW: Small Groups Come along and have a chat and learn more about your faith, on Thursday afternoon at 2.15 or Thursday eve. 7pm. Warm welcome at Dave’s or Shelia’s house. COLLECT your programme from the back of the Church. Speak to Dave or Sue for more details or click HERE.
- The Well meetings are: Every Monday morning from 10.30, a weekly drop-in facility for tea, coffee and cakes at the Community Hall. For more information click HERE
- 100 Club Draw for March has taken place. Results for the draw can be found by going to the 100 Club page. Application forms are now available for year 2019 / 2020 from Elizabeth Slade or from the back of church.
- NEW: Oxon Oracle for March 2019. Click lmage on the right to open.
- Ashar Emotional Health Café Style Drop-In – Every Monday (EXCEPT BANK HOLIDAYS) afternoon 12.30pm till 2.30pm in the Old School Hall at Oxon – Every 1st Monday of the month Palmer’s Café, Shrewsbury Central Baptist church 12.30 till 2.30pm – Every 1st Wednesday of the month The Orchard Café at Shrewsbury Catholic Cathedral 12.30pm till 2.30pm. (Please see handouts at the back of church or in the old school hall for more information and addresses).
- The Junior Choir meets on Wednesday evenings. 6-7pm in church. Thanks to The Ouseley Trust we are seeking to develop our work to include regular and seasonal services throughout the year and to perform at concerts where we have the opportunity. Just pop along and see us. Open to KS2 upwards. There is also an opportunity to learn to play a church organ under the tuition of the director of music John Bowen.
- Our Sponsors. A significant number of local companies sponsor our Church by taking out adverts on this website. There are too many to mention but all offer a valuable service which you may find helpful. All the adverts can be found by clicking the Our Sponsors button at the top of this page or HERE.
- Church Organ. The new organ has been installed and sounds wonderful. The gift was very generously donated by Gilbert and Priscilla Roscoe, from the estate of Gilbert’s late brother Glyn. Photo’s are now on the Gallery page above.
- Church Flowers – If anyone would like flowers put in church for a special occasion, or to remember some one, please ring Penny on 246759. Thank you.
- Aerial photos of the church. Wonderful shots, kindly taken and donated by Simon Knight. Please go to the Gallery page.
- Church choir. John, our Director of Music is looking for new choir members, especially tenors and basses, but everyone is welcome. Contact John or any Church officer, details are on the Contacts page above.
- Church evacuation. If a fire is discovered, and you are asked to evacuate, please leave the building in a calm, orderly manner, helping the less-able if necessary. There are 2 marked exits; the main door and a back-door exit via the vestry. Choice of exits may depend on the location of the fire. Make your way to the Assembly point which is next to the stone bench in the cemetery to await the arrival of the Fire Service. Similar arrangements also apply to the church Hall.