Welcome to Oxon Church Shrewsbury
We’re Saving a Seat for You
Welcome to Oxon Church
The Vicar, the Reverend David O’Brien, his wife Alison and son Josh welcomes you to the community of Christ Church, Shelton with Oxon, often referred to simply as Oxon Church.
We are a thriving group, with an enthusiastic congregation, located in the heart of Shelton with Oxon. For your satnav, our postcode is SY3 5AH and we’re immediately opposite the Toby Inn pub.
Oxon Church Services
Sunday: 9.30 am – Traditional Holy Communion using the Book of Common Prayer and alternating weekly with Common Worship which is in modern English. It is a Communion service each week and is led by the vicar, organist and choir.
Sunday: 11 am – Morning Praise. The style is more contemporary. It has modern music and the structure is much looser, to allow for a much more flexible pattern. It is more relaxed and less formal than a traditional service and Communion is shared on the 3rd Sunday of every month.
Sunday: 6.00 pm – Reflections.This means we meet to pray and study the Bible in an informal setting. Anyone can ask any question and it is a time for listening to one another and God.
Wednesdays: 11 am in the Hall for Communion followed by tea, coffee, and delicious biscuits. The pattern alternates between Book of Common Prayer and Common Worship.
Verse of the Day
Oxon Church News
- NEW: Pew News. Articles and notices should be sent to our Communications member James Grundy at email@example.com who will forward them on to the Editor, Stanton D’Arcy. To view the latest copy please click on the image on the right. To download go to: Pew News March 18th 2018.
- NEW: ANNUAL PAROCHIAL CHURCH MEETING – 7 APRIL 2018. The Annual Meeting will be held on Saturday 7 April 2018 at 1000 in the Old School Community Hall. At the Annual Meeting there will be elections for two Churchwardens, nine PCC members (four for three years, four for two years, and one for one year), and two Deanery Synod representative (for two years). Nomination forms are available at the back of the Church and should be completed by 5 April 2018. The Annual Accounts and Reports will also be presented at this meeting. Susan Winwood, PCC Secretary.
- NEW: Ashar – On Sunday 18th March 2018 at 3.30pm till 5.30pm Make your own cards, with refreshments (entrance fee £5.00) Please contact Kerry Day on 07837 272 526 to book a place or find out more information.
- 100 Club Draw for March has taken place together with the ‘Special Prizes‘ Annual draw. Results for the draws can be found by going to the 100 Club page. Application forms are now available for year 2018 / 2019 from Elizabeth Slade or from the back of church.
- NEW: Children’s Society – Ann is starting the annual collection of Children’s Society boxes. If you are a box holder please bring your box to church and hand it to Ann or the duty churchwarden. Once a fair number of boxes have been collected, Ann and her faithful volunteers will open the boxes and pass the cash to the Children’s Society. The emptied boxes will be returned to the back of church for collection. Last year we managed to raise a total of £1,384.23 through the box scheme. If anyone would like to donate in this way, please have a word with Ann. On behalf of the Children’s Society, Ann would like to thank the Gains Park Friendship Group for their kind donation, which has been passed to the Children’s Society.
NEW: Yeoman Singers – On Tuesday 27 March 2018 at 7.30pm will perform a concert with orchestra, of Haydn’s Little Organ Mass, and other music by Mozart and Warlock.
Tickets £8. A raffle in aid of Shropshire Blood Bikes will be held, and light refreshments will be available during the interval. Car parking at the rear of the Toby Carvery’
- NEW: Oxon Oracle for March 2018. Click lmage on the right to open.
- NEW: Monthly prayer for the growth of the church. Once a month we invite all church members to spend time in church between 10.00am-12.00pm. Feel free to come and spend as much or as little time as you can to be in God’s presence. Future dates will be announced shortly ‘And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests’ Ephesians 6.18.
- NEW: Ashar Emotional Health Café Style Drop-In – Every Monday (EXCEPT BANK HOLIDAYS) afternoon 12.30pm till 2.30pm in the Old School Hall at Oxon – Every 1st Monday of the month Palmer’s Café, Shrewsbury Central Baptist church 12.30 till 2.30pm – Every 1st Wednesday of the month The Orchard Café at Shrewsbury Catholic Cathedral 12.30pm till 2.30pm. (Please see handouts at the back of church or in the old school hall for more information and addresses).
- The Junior Choir meets on Wednesday evenings. 6-7pm in church. Thanks to The Ouseley Trust we are seeking to develop our work to include regular and seasonal services throughout the year and to perform at concerts where we have the opportunity. Just pop along and see us. Open to KS2 upwards. There is also an opportunity to learn to play a church organ under the tuition of the director of music John Bowen.
- NEW: Baptisms. On Sunday 4th February 2018, at 12.30pm service the Christian church welcomed a young child into our community. Eleanor Lydia Elizabeth Williams can be seen in the photo on our Special Services / Baptisms page with her parents Laura and Richard and big brother Joshua. Also in the photo are Eleanor’s Godparents.
- The Well meetings are: Every Monday morning from 10.30, a weekly drop-in facility for tea, coffee and cakes at the Community Hall.
- Our Sponsors. A significant number of local companies sponsor our Church by taking out adverts on this website. There are too many to mention but all offer a valuable service which you may find helpful. All the adverts can be found by clicking the Our Sponsors button at the top of this page.
- Small Groups meet regularly for fellowship and Bible Study. The next meetings are on Thursday March 1st for the afternoon and evening groups. The afternoon group starts at 2.15pm until 3.45pm and the evening group from 7pm until 8.30pm. The afternoon group will meet weekly and the evening group twice a month. Each group is meeting weekly during Lent and are studying ‘Steps in Discipleship’. A resource for study groups produced by the Diocese of Lichfield encouraging students to ‘Come Follow Christ in the footsteps of St Chad’. A new flyer containing dates and venues is available at the back of church.
- Church Organ. The new organ has been installed and sounds wonderful. The gift was very generously donated by Gilbert and Priscilla Roscoe, from the estate of Gilbert’s late brother Glyn. Photo’s are now on the Gallery page above.
- Slimming World in the Hall. The very successful slimming club ‘Slimming World’ meets every Friday morning between 10 and 12. Please contact Elaine on 07816 220 353 or simply turn up; you won’t be alone! This is proving really popular, new members are joining every week; give it a try if you feel the need, you’ll not be alone and you’ll be made most welcome.
- Church Flowers – If any one would like flowers put in church for a special occasion, or to remember some one, please ring Penny on 246759. Thank you.
- Aerial photos of the church. Wonderful shots, kindly taken and donated by Simon Knight. Please go to the Gallery page.
- Church choir. John, our Director of Music is looking for new choir members, especially tenors and basses, but everyone is welcome. Contact John or any Church officer, details are on the Contacts page above.
- Church evacuation. If a fire is discovered, and you are asked to evacuate, please leave the building in a calm, orderly manner, helping the less-able if necessary. There are 2 marked exits; the main door and a back-door exit via the vestry. Choice of exits may depend on the location of the fire. Make your way to the Assembly point which is next to the stone bench in the cemetery to await the arrival of the Fire Service. Similar arrangements also apply to the church Hall.