Welcome to Oxon Church Shrewsbury
We’re Saving a Seat for You
Welcome to Oxon Church
The Vicar, the Reverend David O’Brien, his wife Alison and son Josh welcomes you to the community of Christ Church, Shelton with Oxon, often referred to simply as Oxon Church. We are a thriving group, with an enthusiastic congregation, located in the heart of Shelton with Oxon. For your satnav, our postcode is SY3 5AH and we’re immediately opposite the Toby Inn pub. Do feel free to pop in for a chat, or contact the vicar either by phone on 01743 231 427 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxon Church Services
Sunday: 9.30 am – Traditional Holy Communion using the Book of Common Prayer and alternating weekly with Common Worship which is in modern English. It is a Communion service each week and is led by the vicar, organist and choir.
Sunday: 11 am – Morning Praise. The style is more contemporary. It has modern music and the structure is much looser, to allow for a much more flexible pattern. It is more relaxed and less formal than a traditional service and Communion is shared on the 3rd Sunday of every month.
Sunday 25th November 2018
10.30am Joint Service for Healing and Reconciliation
No 9.30am or 11.00am Services
Sunday: 6.00 pm – Reflections.This means we meet to pray and study the Bible in an informal setting. Anyone can ask any question and it is a time for listening to one another and God.
Wednesdays: 11 am in the Hall for Communion followed by tea, coffee, and delicious biscuits. The pattern alternates between Book of Common Prayer and Common Worship.
Christmas Services 2018 At Oxon Church
Sunday 02 December 2018 – 1600 Christingle Service
Sunday 16 December 2018 – 1800 Traditional Carol Service
Monday 24 December 2018 – 1600 Crib Service
Monday 24 December 2018 – 2330 Midnight Mass
Tuesday 25 December 2018 – 1030 Christmas Day
For more information visit our Christmas Services page HERE!
Glorious Reflections Taken By Annette Knight on Easter Morning When The Sun Shone Through The Church Windows
Verse of the Day
Oxon Church News
- NEW: Pew News. Articles and notices should be sent to our Communications member James Grundy at email@example.com who will forward them on to the Editor, Stanton D’Arcy. To view the latest copy please click on the image on the right. To download go to: November 18th 2018 Pew News
- NEW: Oxon Church Christmas Fayre – Saturday – 24th November. Please could you collect books, Bottles, Tombola gifts and Children’s Toys to be collected in November. We need cakes, mince pies etc. Any cash donations please give to Penny, Jan or Sue Winwood. Thank you.
- NEW: Children’s Society Box Collection. Ann is pleased to report that a final payment has been passed to The Children’s Society making our total for this year £1,350.84. Thank you to all box holders for their support. If you would like to donate in this way, please have a word with Ann.
- NEW: Small Groups Come along and have a chat and learn more about your faith, on Thursday afternoon at 2.15 or Thursday eve. 7pm. Warm welcome at Dave’s or Shelia’s house. COLLECT your programme from the back of the Church. Speak to Dave or Sue for more details or click HERE.
- The Well meetings are: Every Monday morning from 10.30, a weekly drop-in facility for tea, coffee and cakes at the Community Hall. For more information click HERE
- 100 Club Draw for November has taken place. Results for the draw can be found by going to the 100 Club page. Application forms are now available for year 2018 / 2019 from Elizabeth Slade or from the back of church.
- NEW: Oxon Oracle for November 2018. Click lmage on the right to open.
- Ashar Emotional Health Café Style Drop-In – Every Monday (EXCEPT BANK HOLIDAYS) afternoon 12.30pm till 2.30pm in the Old School Hall at Oxon – Every 1st Monday of the month Palmer’s Café, Shrewsbury Central Baptist church 12.30 till 2.30pm – Every 1st Wednesday of the month The Orchard Café at Shrewsbury Catholic Cathedral 12.30pm till 2.30pm. (Please see handouts at the back of church or in the old school hall for more information and addresses).
- The Junior Choir meets on Wednesday evenings. 6-7pm in church. Thanks to The Ouseley Trust we are seeking to develop our work to include regular and seasonal services throughout the year and to perform at concerts where we have the opportunity. Just pop along and see us. Open to KS2 upwards. There is also an opportunity to learn to play a church organ under the tuition of the director of music John Bowen.
- Our Sponsors. A significant number of local companies sponsor our Church by taking out adverts on this website. There are too many to mention but all offer a valuable service which you may find helpful. All the adverts can be found by clicking the Our Sponsors button at the top of this page or HERE.
- Church Organ. The new organ has been installed and sounds wonderful. The gift was very generously donated by Gilbert and Priscilla Roscoe, from the estate of Gilbert’s late brother Glyn. Photo’s are now on the Gallery page above.
- Church Flowers – If anyone would like flowers put in church for a special occasion, or to remember some one, please ring Penny on 246759. Thank you.
- Aerial photos of the church. Wonderful shots, kindly taken and donated by Simon Knight. Please go to the Gallery page.
- Church choir. John, our Director of Music is looking for new choir members, especially tenors and basses, but everyone is welcome. Contact John or any Church officer, details are on the Contacts page above.
- Church evacuation. If a fire is discovered, and you are asked to evacuate, please leave the building in a calm, orderly manner, helping the less-able if necessary. There are 2 marked exits; the main door and a back-door exit via the vestry. Choice of exits may depend on the location of the fire. Make your way to the Assembly point which is next to the stone bench in the cemetery to await the arrival of the Fire Service. Similar arrangements also apply to the church Hall.