Welcome to Oxon Church
The Vicar, the Reverend David O’Brien, welcomes you to the community of Christ Church, Shelton with Oxon, often referred to simply as Oxon Church.
We are a thriving group, with an enthusiastic congregation, located in the heart of Shelton with Oxon. For your satnav, our postcode is SY3 5AH and we’re immediately opposite the Toby Inn pub.
Do feel free to pop in for a chat, or contact the vicar either by phone on 01743 231 427 or by e-
We look forward to hearing from you and remember……..
“Life is precious, treat it with prayer”
- Sunday: 9.30 am –
Traditional Holy Communion using the Book of Common Prayer and alternating weekly with Common Worship which is in modern English. It is a Communion service each week and is led by the vicar, organist and choir.
- Sunday: 11 am – Morning Praise. The style is more contemporary. It has modern music and the structure is much looser, to allow for a much more flexible pattern. It is more relaxed and less formal than a traditional service and Communion is shared on the 3rd Sunday of every month.
- Sunday: 6.00 pm –
Reflections. This means we meet to pray and study the Bible in an informal setting. Anyone can ask any question and it is a time for listening to one another and God.
- Wednesdays: 11 am in the Hall for Communion followed by tea & coffee, and sandwiches, for those who wish to bring them. The pattern alternates between Book of Common Prayer and Common Worship.
- NEW: Pray for a Million Trillion Blessings to be upon Mike Tasker for his wonderful work as Website Manager over the last 8-years. Great Job Mike!
- NEW: Pew News. Articles and notices should be sent to our Communications member James Grundy at email@example.com who will forward them on to the Editor, Stanton D’Arcy. For the latest copy please go to: Pew News June 18th 2017.
- Welcome to our Oxon Church website; we hope you like it. You may notice that the photos are responsive; click on a photo and it pops up to view, along with any associated text. Also, a number of the headings above, such as Home and Community, have drop-down menus; press these to access other pages of the website. Your comments, either positive or negative are welcome, please contact Dave at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Sponsors. A significant number of local companies sponsor our Church by taking out adverts on this website. There are too many to mention but all offer a valuable service which you may find helpful. All the adverts can be found by clicking the Our Sponsors button at the top of this page.
- Smile: At the bottom of this page you’ll find Final Thought; this is a humorous or thought-provoking quote. Do have a look.
- NEW: Ordination Invitation. Church members are warmly invited to Ana Lawrence’s ordination service in Lichfield Cathedral on Saturday 1st July. Pick up a letter in church with more details of how to get tickets and transport arrangements.
- Short-term help urgently required. You may not be aware but Jenny, who manages and organises so much behind the scenes, is going to hospital for a knee operation on the 23rd March. We desperately need some congregation members to help open and close the Hall occasionally, also to set up chairs for the Wednesday communion and teas. Can you spare any time at all? It’s not an onerous task and if enough people volunteer then life will become easier for everyone. Please either email the Rev David at email@example.com or phone him on 01743 231 427
- Kevin Lawrence delivers donated goods to Burkina Faso. Kevin recently returned from Burkina Faso and photos of his visit can be seen on the Gallery page above.
- Small Groups start again on Thursday June 15th at 2.15 at Dave M’s. house (39 Eastwood Road – not starting until Thursday June 22nd) and 7pm at Ann Hartley’s, (Oxon House, Racecourse Lane). The afternoon group will meet weekly and the evening group twice a month. Each week will be a different OT or New Testament character and so you are welcome to come when you can. COLLECT A FLYER FROM DAVE OR THE BACK OF THE CHURCH, containing dates and venues etc.
- NEW: Baptisms. On Sunday 2nd April, the Christian church welcomed 3 young children into our community. Daisy Isla Catherine Ayris who can be seen with parents Amanda and Ben and older brother Ewan and Godparents. Also baptised on the 2nd April were George Thomas and Charlie Peter Lewis who can be seen with parents Agnieszka and Daniel, older brother Oscar and Godparents. Go to the Special Services/Baptism page above see photographs taken with the vicar, Rev David O’Brien, at the font.
- Do you remember the 50’s? I do and thought you might like a humorous look at some comments from that era; they might make you smile. Have a look at this…Eating in the UK in the 50s
- NEW: The Children’s Society.Ann is pleased to report that a further £106.73 has been passed to The Children’s Society this week, bringing the total so far this year to £1,148.77. Once again thank you to everyone who has brought their box to church. Emptied boxes are at the back of church for collection. A huge thanks to Linda and David Glover and to Alan Hartley who have helped with counting the cash and carrying it to the bank. Ann still has a few more boxes to collect and hopes to be able to report the final total soon.
- Church Organ. The new organ has been installed and sounds wonderful. The gift was very generously donated by Gilbert and Priscilla Roscoe, from the estate of Gilbert’s late brother Glyn. Photo’s are now on the Gallery page above.
- Slimming World in the Hall. The very successful slimming club ‘Slimming World’ meets every Friday morning between 10 and 12. Please contact Elaine on 07816 220 353 or simply turn up; you won’t be alone! This is proving really popular, new members are joining every week; give it a try if you feel the need, you’ll not be alone and you’ll be made most welcome.
- Church Flowers – If any one would like flowers put in church for a special occasion, or to remember some one, please ring Penny on 246759. Thank you.
- Getting rid of weeds. I found this handy tip in the Which magazine and published it last year. Here it is again, as it’s a winner. Instead of spending a small fortune on weedkiller, simply pour a kettle of boiling water on your weeds; the shock kills the weed at the root and it dies within a couple of days. It works every time and is especially good on gravel drives. Try it, you’ll be surprised how effective it is; cheap too!
- 100 Club Draw for June has taken place. Results for the draw can be found by going to the Community Page.
- The Building Development Fund has got off to an excellent start but please bear in mind that our target is enormous and we’re asking for your help. For more information on how to give or to set up standing orders and pledges, please contact the vicar, whose contact details are at the top of this page.
- The Well. Every Monday morning from 10.30, a weekly drop-in facility for tea, coffee and cakes at the Community Hall.
- Aerial photos of the church. Wonderful shots, kindly taken and donated by Simon Knight. Please go to the Gallery page.
- Church choir. John, our Director of Music is looking for new choir members, especially tenors and basses, but everyone is welcome. Contact John or any Church officer, details are on the Contacts page above.
- Church evacuation. If a fire is discovered, and you are asked to evacuate, please leave the building in a calm, orderly manner, helping the less-able if necessary. There are 2 marked exits; the main door and a back-door exit via the vestry. Choice of exits may depend on the location of the fire. Make your way to the Assembly point which is next to the stone bench in the cemetery to await the arrival of the Fire Service. Similar arrangements also apply to the church Hall.
- NEW: Final thought……… If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you!